Friday 13 March 2015

Now Is The Time To... Art!

Aaah... My Friends...
get ready for a true art feast prepared for us by wonderful Linda.
A feast of layers, creative fun with my stamps and stencils, doodling and a magical sprinkle of mica powder. :)
I'm more than certain Linda will make you want to run to your desk and create!


Hi everyone! I’m really excited to share some of the great new Finnabair products from Prima.
Those who follow me know how I love to stamp, so I could not have been happier when my new supplies arrived.
The quality of these stamps is great and they stamp out absolutely perfect. The details are not lost with the cling or clear stamps at all. And the stencils with the new mica powders have unlimited possibilities! This is what we’re going to build with lots of layers of products.


1. I've yet to do a journal page for the team, and you know I love to create pages, so this is somewhat like a page, but it starts with some upcycled material.
These great pieces of kraft colored paper are in the packaging of the stencils from Finnabair and Prima. I just could not throw them away, so here they become our base for this project.


2. Begin by giving one of them a random layer of Heavy White Gesso with a wide brush. Don't completely cover the areas. I thought the hanging cutout was interesting, so I left it on, but cut the folded top piece off.


3. Next I mixed up a bit of 3D Gloss Gel and the fabulous Rust Mica Powder. You will LOVE this color. Then add it to your piece using the Cobblestone Stencil. See how shiny this color turns out?!?!


4. I used 2 different "reds" to add letters with the Alpha Stencil. One is with ink and one is an acrylic paint.
Then the really, really cool Graphite Texture Paste is used with the Harlequin Stencil. This stuff looks soooooo much different when it dries, you'll be amazed!


5. I added some Archival Inks using the Messy and Crackle Clear Stamps, then a lot of pen-work layers. I used some turquoise and black paint sprays and let them drip. Spritz with water to get them to move and dilute.


6. I wanted lots of contrast so I outlined several areas with the white pen and added shading to others. See how the Texture Paste has sparkles in it? I also create different areas of interest with white free-hand doodles.


7.  This is the red ink stenciling. It wasn't as bold as I wanted, so I outlined it with a black gel pen.


8. I loved all the areas of the paper’s edges and didn't want to trim them down, so I used Distress Inks, browns and black soot, for more color.
The Rust and Dust and Old Town Cling Stamp sets are wonderful for creating the rolled stamped areas in the background.


9. I hated to cover this all up, but I thought a focal point would add interest, so I stamped the Now is the Right Time lady onto manila cardstock and fussy cut it out.
Using Tombow pens I added bright colors to the heart and words, but very muted colors to the rest of the image. Distress Inks were added to the image and edges. White pen doodles decorate the black areas of the image.
I layered it onto chipboard, and glued to the page. To flatten the whole thing out I cut a piece of plain chipboard painted black, and added it with scor-tape.


So the message here is if you love the packaging paper, don't throw it away, create something with it! You can practice your stenciling or stamping without feeling like you need an expensive substrate. Sometimes they turn out better than you would have thought!!!

Hope you've enjoyed this tutorial and are inspired to play! And don't forget to check out the links below as products are now in stock at Mixed Media Place!!!

Your Friend in ART,

Linda

Materials used:


11 comments:

Unknown said...

I am definitely feeling inspired. I think I may have to ignore folding laundry for a little while longer...

Katia said...

is awesome!!! thanks for sharing your creative process!

A Pink said...

Fabulous! All the many layers n textures n detail ! So much to see n lust over ! Finnabair stamps n products really do rock n you showed them off so well Linda . x

Anonymous said...

Amazing layout, Linda. Love it.

Kathy Bradley said...

Linda,
What a perfect page - I love the textures, colors and stamps used. I love the Graphite Texture Paste. I have it on my "need asap" list! Thanks for sharing.

Sandra C. said...

This piece is really incredible! I wouldn't have thought I would like the brown and black together, but the graphite texture paste is so dark and textured it looks great. I have to get some. You're right about the rust mica power, it adds a cool look and color. At the end of the tutorial, you said "To flatten the whole thing out I cut a piece of plain chipboard painted black, and added it with scor-tape." I don't see where you put that. Did you mount the entire piece on on the black chipboard?
Thanks for sharing this wonderful piece of art with us!

craftyM said...

Love your creation, the stencils, the product and that stamp! I want that stamp..it's awesome!

lilyandthelotus.blogspot.com said...

I love the mica powders, and the images are fun. Beautiful journal page.
hugs
susan s

Carol McCready said...

Love the page. I am positive that I have to go out and pick up the 3D Gloss Gel now. I just purchased
some of the new mica powders seed beads and I love them.

Etsuko said...

Absolutely stunning page. I love how to use your new Finnabair's products. xx

Linda M. Cain said...

It's just a piece of chipboard that creates the look of a frame around the piece. And since the page is just paper, it makes it lay completely flat without wrinkling.

~Linda

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...